It’s April Fools, and while I’m not much of a prankster, I love reading about characters that are. So, here are my top five trickster characters: ranging the gamut from harmless pranks to straight up treachery.
- Loki: The Norse god of mischief runs this gamut all on his own: from pranks that backfire to bringing about Ragnarok. One of my favorite Loki stories is when he puts Thor in a wedding dress to steal back Mjolnir. I also love Hiddleston’s portrayal of him in the MCU.
- Odysseus: One of the best known tricksters in all of classical lit, Odysseus is alternately portrayed as a cunning hero or conniving villain. However, no one can contest the fact that this man has a knack for getting out of a tight spot! If only I could get my characters out of theirs with half his poise.
- Fred and George Weasley: These boys sure know how to have a good time! And though they cause such delightful mayhem, they never take things too far. That’s not to say they can’t put their skills to practical use when needed. Fighting Umbridge and then Voldemort wouldn’t have been half so fun without them.
- Travis and Connor Stoll: Though considered by some to be Fred and George knock-offs, I’ve always like them. The Weasleys will sell you candy at an exorbitant rate, but the Stolls will rob a convenience store during battle and pass around the loot.
- Shawn Spencer: “I know, you know, that I’m not telling the truth. You know, I know, you don’t have any proof…” the theme song says it all. And while Shaw is more of hilarious-man-child than legit-trickster, I can never pass up a chance for Psych shenanigans. Pineapple anyone? *Side note: I didn’t include Gus here because the poor guy usually just gets drug along for the ride. But I still love him!*
And there you have it! Guess I cheated a bit with all my pairs, but they really come as a package deal. Have you got a favorite trickster? Drop them in a comment below!